What is it?
For singers passionate about operatic music, OperaCoast gives a privileged hands-on experience of taking part in a unique intensive opera course. You are invited to The Birley Centre, Eastbourne, UK, each year to explore one opera in one weekend. The project aims to bring together singers of different backgrounds and abilities from all over the UK and beyond to learn about the psychology of opera, the skill of singing and acting, the connections between words and music and much more. The course includes an open public performance.
In 2017 OperaCoast Summer Course is exploring the opera Louise written by a French composer Gustav Charpentier in 1900. The participants will be provided with the score of the piece in an original translation by Christopher Cowell.
Who is it for?
- Undergraduate and postgraduate singers seeking to improve their stage presence and performing experience.
- Upcoming professional singers wishing to add a specific role to their repertoire.
- Singers seeking to gain more experience in performing solo roles.
- Singers with experience of choral singing seeking to move into the operatic repertoire and to experience a staged performance.
- People with other music background wishing to enhance their singing experience and their performing skills.
Non-singing partners and friends may like to come along for the weekend as observers and enjoy the many charms of Eastbourne, and then come along and watch our team perform. OperaCoast gives anyone a perfect excuse for an operatic holiday.